More then 3 000 000 items in the collection. About 2 950 000 visitors a year. One of the biggest and greatest museums of the world. The State Hermitage Museum has its 250-anniversary in 2014 and is going to be the main stage of the Conference.
The State Hermitage Museum will host the Opening ceremony and main meetings on September, 8th, 9th and 10th. They will take place in the General Staff Building which will be opened for the public just in 2014 after several years of restoration and reconstruction works.
The East wing of the General Staff Building was given to the State Hermitage to house new exhibitions of the Museum in 1990s. The majestic building (1820-1830) designed by the architect of Russian Classicism Carlo Rossi completed the ensemble of the Palace Square. Being situated opposite the magnificent baroque residence of the royal family the Winter Palace (Rastrelli, 1754-1762) – the main building of the State Hermitage museum – this classically austere construction of the General Staff occupies grand space from Nevsky prospect to the bend of the Moika river. The lines of the facade of two semi-circular wings smoothly outline the southern border of the square. The wings are connected with a triumphal arch decorated with a sculptural composition – the Chariot of Glory.
The Museum of the Russian Guard Regiments is found there. The world famous collection of the impressionistic paintings will be on the display in General Staff halls.
The conference meetings and excursion also will bring the participants to The Staraya Derevnya Restoration and Storage Centre of the State Hermitage.
The first phase of the Depository building was put into operation on 16 May 2003. The State Hermitage regards this event as its contribution in celebrating the 300th anniversary of Saint-Petersburg. Currently it is the world's largest complex of its kind consisting of eight specialized buildings: administrative, repository and engineering buildings. The new museum depository is operated by principle of "open storage". An ability to conduct tours of the Hermitage's Depository makes this museum project unique. The length of a tour program is about 1 kilometer. The Repository building houses various collections of the Department of Western European Art, the Department of the History of Russian Culture, the Oriental Department, the Department of Archaeology of Eastern Europe and Siberia, as well as the Laboratory of Scientific Restoration of Easel Paintings. These collections mostly were long unavailable for the general public.