Museum-preserve will host the Closing ceremony and Farewell buffet on September, 12th
The transfer will take the participants for the event and then back to the city or to the airport to go to Yekaterinburg.
Adress: 7, Sadovaya Street, Pushkin, Saint Petersburg
+7 (812) 465–9424
The site that would become Tsarskoye Selo appears on Swedish seventeenth-century maps as a small estate known as “Sarishoff” or “Saarismoisio” (translated from the Finnish “the manor on an elevated spot”), and in Russian as “Sarskaya Myza”. Immediately after the end of the Neva campaign the manor was given to Alexander Menshikov, who was appointed governor general of the liberated territory, but then on 24 June 1710 it was transferred on Peter the Great’s orders to his future wife Catherine (their official marriage took place in February 1712) and included in the category of palace lands.
The creation of royal residence in place of the estate began in the 1710s and continued in the 1720s. Nearby a village grew up as well as an area of housing for court servants. Soon Sarskaya Myza was being called Sarskoye Selo (selo means “village”) and when construction of a palace began it acquired the elevated title of Tsarskoye Selo – “Tsar’s Village”.
For two centuries Tsarskoye Selo was a grand imperial summer residence, the construction of which was a matter of state importance and involved departments of the government.
After the October Revolution of 1917 the palace and park ensemble was turned into a museum.
The palaces and parks of the unique Tsarskoye Selo ensemble suffered badly during the Second World War. Now, over half a century after the end of the war, the restoration and reconstruction work that began in the 1950s can without exaggeration be described as unprecedented in world practice. The architects and restorers are still today recreating the priceless legacy of the past using the traditional materials and techniques of gilders, stonemasons, stucco-workers and other craftsmen of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, whose secrets are rediscovered through study of documentary sources.
The Tsarskoye Selo palace and park ensemble is a superb monument of world-ranking architecture and garden-and-park design dating from the eighteenth to early twentieth centuries. A whole constellation of outstanding architects, sculptors and painters made the ideas of their crowned clients a reality here. Tsarskoye Selo is a cluster of very fine examples of Baroque and Classical architecture and it was also the first place in the Russian capital where interiors decorated in the Moderne (Art Nouveau) style appeared.
The compositional centre of the ensemble is the Great Tsarskoye Selo or Catherine Palace – a splendid example of the Russian Baroque. Visitors are enraptured by the sumptuous décor of the Great Hall and the Golden Enfilade of staterooms that includes the world-famous Amber Room now returned to life.
In the beginning of 2014 The Tsarskoye Selo Museum received the EU Prize for Cultural Heritage / Europa Nostra Award for the project Conservation of the Agate Rooms, completed in 2013. Now a certificate, commemorating the granting of the Award, and a bronze wall plaque, which is to be placed on the awarded site, arrived at Tsarskoye Selo. It will be installed during the “Museum and Politics” conference.